Repair or Replace the Pool Pump?
Is your pool pump noisy, leaking, smoking or simply not working? You may need to take care of it right away or risk the pump not working at all. If your pump is not circulating the water, hot weather will make it gross, fast.
If your pump is down, lower the pH to 7.2 and shock the pool. Also, brush and skim twice a day to help keep it clean and circulated.
Is it a Pump Problem or Motor Problem?
Connected to the front half of the pump or wet end, is the motor or back half of the pump. It is connected by a seal plate that bolts or clamps the two halves together.
Not starting, overheating, or loud screechy noises indicate motor problems.
Wet end pump problems would have to do with any of the parts that the water moves through such as the pump pot, pump basket, volute, impeller and diffuser, and so on.
Wet end problems could be things such as leaking, broken baskets, worn out seals or o-rings, clogged impellers or diffusers or cracked volutes.
Once you determine what is causing the problem or contact us to determine the problem, you can decide whether to repair the pump or replace it.
REPAIR your Pump When:
1) The cost of repairing the pump is more affordable than replacing it.
2) Your pump motor is less than five years old. Motors should last closer to ten years.
3) You want to avoid plumbing involved with connecting the new pump.
Replace your Pump When:
1) You live in a state that requires an energy efficient pool pump. Check the website of your state for requirements.
2) Your pump is smaller or bigger than what you need.
3) Your motor is older than five years or has irreparable damage.
4) You prefer a new pump with a factory warranty.
No matter what you decide, remember that it's a decision that needs to be made ASAP. Image by Angel Saavedra Wiki
Thank you to Tina Droessler for her guest post this week. Tina provides real estate services in Palm Desert and is an expert at finding homes with good working swimming pools and spas. Perfect for our hotter climates. Thanks Tina!
- Pool Inspection Basics
-Airlock Might Be Why Your Pool Pump's Not Priming
-Does Chlorine Make Your Eyes Sting?
Don Reinhard has been a Havasu City resident for several years and loves the sun and warmth of this area. He has brought both of these together being in the pool industry. Call him today for quotes on pool and spa maintenance and service.